续上
7
The face of all the world is changed, I think,
全世界的面目,我想,忽然改变了,
Since first I heard of the footsteps of thy soul
自从我第一次在心灵上听到你的步子
Move still, oh, still, beside me, as they stole
轻轻、轻轻,来到我身旁--穿过我和
betwixt me and the dreadful outer brink
死亡的边缘:那幽微的间隙。站在
Of obvious death, where I, who thought to sink,
那里的我,只道这一回该倒下了,
Was caught up into love, and taught the whole
却不料被爱救起,还教给一曲
Of life in a new rhythm. The cup of dole
生命的新歌。上帝赐我洗礼的
God gave for baptism, I am fain to drink,
那一杯苦酒,我甘愿饮下,赞美它
And praise its sweetness, Sweet, with thee anear.
甜蜜--甜蜜的,如果有你在我身旁。
The names of a country, heaven, are changed away
天国和人间,将因为你的存在
For where thou art or shalt be, there or here;
而更改模样;而这曲歌,这支笛,
And this ... this lute and song ... loved yesterday
昨日里给爱着,还让人感到亲切,
( The singing angels know ) are only dear
那歌唱的天使知道,就因为
Because thy name moves right in what they say.
一声声都有你的名字在荡漾。
8
你那样慷慨豪爽的施主呀,你把
What can I give thee back, O liberal
你心坎里金碧辉煌的宝藏、
And Princely giver, who hast brought the gold
原封地掏出来,只往我墙外推,
And purple of thine heart, unstained, untold,
任凭象我这样的人去拣起,还是
And laid them on the outside of the wall
把这罕见的舍施丢下;教我拿什么
For such as I to take or leave withal, [1]
来作为你应得的报答?请不要
In unexpected largesse? am I cold,
说我太冷漠、太寡恩,你那许多
Ungrateful, that for these most manifold
重重叠叠的深情厚意,我却
High gifts, I render nothing back at all?
没有一些儿回敬;不,并不是
Not so; not cold, -- but very poor instead.
冷漠无情,实在我太寒伧。你问
Ask God who knows. For frequent tears have run
上帝就明白。那连绵的泪雨冲尽了
The colours from my life, and left so dead
我生命的光彩,只剩一片死沉沉的
And pale a stuff, it were not fitly done
苍白,不配给你当偎依的枕头。
To give the same as pillow to thy head.
走吧!尽把它踏在脚下,作垫石。
Go further! let it serve to trample on.
[1] withal, Original meaning is 'likewise', or 'at the same time'.
Here it means 'equally', 'with free choice'.
9
我能不能有什么、就拿什么给你?
Can it be right to give what I can give?
该不该让你紧挨著我,承受
To let thee sit beneath the fall of tears
我簌簌的苦泪;听著那伤逝的青春,
As salt as mine, and hear the sighing years
在我的唇边重复著叹息,偶而
Re-sighing on my lips renunciative
浮起一丝微笑,哪怕你连劝带哄,
Through those infrequent smiles which fail to live
也随即在叹息里寂灭?啊,我但怕
For all thy adjurations? O my fears,
这并不应该!我俩是不相称的
That this can scarce be right! We are not peers
一对,哪能匹配作情侣?我承认,
So to be lovers; and I own, and grieve,
我也伤心,象我这样的施主
That givers of such gifts as mine are, must
只算得鄙吝。唉,可是我怎能够让
Be counted with the ungenerous. Out, alas!
我满身的尘土玷污了你的紫袍,
I will not soil thy purple with my dust,
叫我的毒气喷向你那威尼斯晶杯!
Nor breathe my poison on thy Venice-glass,
我什么爱也不给,因为什么都不该给。
Nor give thee any love -- which were unjust.
爱呀,让我只爱著你,就算数了吧!
Beloved, I only love thee! let it pass.
10
不过只要是爱,是爱,可就是美,
Yet, love, mere love, is beautiful indeed
就值得你接受。你知道,爱就是火,
And worthy of acceptation. Fire is bright,
火总是光明的,不问着火的是庙堂
Let temple burn, or flax. And equal light
或者柴堆--那栋梁还是荆榛在烧,
Leaps in the flame from cedar-plank or weed.
火焰里总跳得出同样的光辉。当我
And love is fire. And when I say at need
不由得倾吐出:“我爱你!”在你的眼里,
_I love thee ... mark! ... _I love thee_ -- in thy sight
那荣耀的瞬息,我忽然成了一尊金身,
I stand transfigured, glorified aright,
感觉到有一道新吐的皓光从我天庭
With conscience of the new rays that proceed
投向你脸上。是爱,就无所谓卑下,
Out of my face toward thine. There's nothing low
即使是最微贱的在爱:那微贱的生命
In love, when love the lowest: meanest creatures
献爱给上帝,宽宏的上帝受了它、
Who love God, God accepts while loving so.
又回赐给它爱。我那迸发的热情
And what I _feel_, across the inferior features
就象道光,通过我这陋质,昭示了
Of what I _am_, doth flash itself, and show
爱的大手笔怎样给造物润色。
How that great work of Love enhances Nature's.
11
这么说,把爱情作为我的名份,
And therefore if to love can be desert,
我还不是完全不配承受。虽然,
I am not all unworthy. Cheeks as pale
你看,两颊那么苍白,那摇晃的
As these you see, and trembling knees that fail
双膝仿佛负担不了沉重的心房;
To bear the burden of a heavy heart. --
这疲乏的行吟生涯也曾想望过
This weary minstrel-life that once was girt
把奥纳斯山峰攀登,却只落得一片
To climb Aornus, and can scare avail
辛酸的哀吟,怎好去跟谷莺竞奏?--
to pipe now 'gainst the valley nightingale
干吗提这些来着?啊,亲爱的,
A melancholy music, why advert
不用讲,我高攀不上,不配在你身边
To these things? O belov`ed, it is plain
占一个位置。可是,就因为我爱你,
I am not of thy worth nor for thy place!
这片爱情提拔我,让我抬起了头、
And yet, because I love thee, I obtain
承受着光明,许我继续活下去,
From that same love this vindicating grace,
哪怕是怎样枉然,也要爱你到底;
To live on still in love, and yet in vain, ...
也要祝福你--即使拒绝你在当面。
To bless thee, yet renounce thee to thy face.
12
说真的,就是这为我所夸耀的爱吧,
Indeed this very love which is my boast,
当它从胸房涌上眉梢,给我加上
And which, when rising up from breast to brow,
一顶皇冠--那一颗巨大的红宝石,
Doth crown me with a ruby large enow
光彩夺目,让人知道它价值连城……
To draw men's eyes and prove the inner cost, ...
就算我这全部的、最高成就的爱吧,
This love even, all my worth, to the uttermost,
我也不懂得怎样去爱,要不是你
I should not love withal, unless that thou
先立下示范,教给我该怎么办--
Hadst set me an example, shown me how,
当你恳切的目光第一次对上了
When first time thine earnest eyes with mine were crossed
我的目光,而爱呼应了爱。很明白,
And love called love. And thus, I cannot speak
即使爱,我也不能夸说是我的美德。
Of love even, as a good thing of my own.
是你,把我从一片昏迷的软乏中
Thy soul hath snatched up mine all faint and weak
抱起,高置上黄金的宝座,靠近在
And placed by thee on a golden throne, --
你的身旁。而我懂得了爱,只因为
And that I love (O soul, we must meek!)
紧挨着你--我唯一爱慕的人
Is by thee only, whom I love alone.
资料来源:汇文网校
|